Immigration Law Changes

British ConsulateIf you have been looking at a fiancee visa or a spouse visa then 2013 has been a difficult year with changes to the laws in the UK. This has been highlighted in Japan Today about expats wanting to return to the UK with their foreign spouse.

The new laws which came into force in July 2012 with the Home Office claiming that these rules are to ensure that the British taxpayer does not carry the burden of the immigrant spouse. Under the new rules to sponsor your non-EU spouse you need to show that you can earn the minimum of £18,600 per year. If you are bring back kids to the UK then this has now been raised to £22,400 for families with one child and an additional £2,400 for every extra child.

So what to do now? Well according to the Home Office you need to leave you spouse back wherever he or she is and return to the UK alone. You need to find a job with the income as stated then ensure that you hold the job for at least 6 months before you can sponsor your spouse back in the UK.

So there we go. Not exactly a new issue but one that has got many expats in Asia a spin as they thought they would be moving back home without much of an issue.


Incoming search terms:

One comment

error: Content is protected !!