Getting an Emergency Travel Document

British ConsulateNote that an emergency travel document lets you leave another country if you can’t get a new or replacement British passport in time to travel. This would normally be called consular services and you need to contact the British Embassy or British Consulate in the country where you had lost your passport.

Only apply for an emergency travel document if you need to to travel as a matter of urgency as you cannot wait for a replacement or renewal if you passport has expired. The FCO had made this a major issue of abuse.

An emergency travel document doesn’t guarantee entry to every country. You may also need a visa. Check with the embassy or consulate of the country or countries you’re intending to travel to or through.

How to apply

You need to apply in person for an emergency travel document. Contact your nearest British embassy, high commission or consulate in the country you are in to check if you need to make an appointment.

You must bring with you:

  • a completed emergency travel document application form
  • a recent photograph of yourself
  • proof of your travel plans – eg, booking confirmations
  • a local police report if your passport has been stolen in the country

You will have to pay a fee in local currency, equivalent to £95.

Getting your emergency travel document

The British embassy or British consulate staff in the country where you are will check to see that you are eligible for an emergency travel document. If you are not eligible then they will give you a reason for this.

If your circumstances are straightforward you can get an emergency travel document the same day you applied for it. It may however take longer if your circumstances are more complex. You may need to change your travel plans.

Using your emergency travel document

Note that the emergency travel document will only be valid for the journey that you specified when you applied and for a specific period of time. The emergency travel document cannot be used like a passport. This will be shown on the document.

Your existing British passport in most cases will be cancelled. Note that if you do find you lost passport which has been cancelled you need to return this to the Embassy or Consulate. Immigration authorities may also keep your emergency travel document when you arrive at your destination.

Incoming search terms:

error: Content is protected !!