Getting an Emergency Travel Document. Note that an emergency travel document lets you leave another country if you can’t get a new or replacement British passport in time. This would normally be called consular services and you need to contact the British Embassy or British Consulate in the country where you had lost your passport.
Getting an Emergency Travel Document
Firstly only apply for an travel document if you need to to travel as a matter of urgency. Secondly mainly as you cannot wait for a replacement or renewal if you passport has expired. Lastly the FCO had made this a major issue of abuse. Not that there is no emergency travel document UK contact number. You can call the Embassy or High Commission in the country where you are but the passport is done online.
An emergency travel document doesn’t guarantee entry to every country. You may also need a visa. Check with the embassy or consulate of the country or countries you’re intending to travel to or through.
How to apply
You need to apply in person for an travel document. Contact your nearest British embassy, high commission or consulate in the country you are in to check if you need to make an appointment.
You must bring with you:
- a completed emergency travel document application form
- a recent photograph of yourself
- proof of your travel plans – eg, booking confirmations
- a local police report if your passport has been stolen in the country
You will have to pay a fee in local currency, equivalent to £100.
Getting your emergency travel document
Likewise the British Embassy or British consulate staff in the country where you are will check to see that you are eligible for an emergency document. If you are not eligible then they will give you a reason for this.
If your circumstances are straightforward you can get an travel document the same day you applied for it. It may however take longer if your circumstances are more complex. You may need to change your travel plans.
Apply online (This will take you to the government website)
Using your emergency travel document
Additionally note that the document will only be valid for the journey that you specified when you applied and for a specific period of time. The emergency document cannot be used like a passport. This will be shown on the document.
Firstly your existing British passport in most cases will be cancelled. Secondly note that if you do find you lost passport which has been cancelled you need to return this to the Embassy or Consulate. Finally immigration authorities may also keep your document when you arrive at your destination.
Incoming search terms:
- emergency travel document
- lost passport
- emergency travel document uk
- uk emergency travel document
- uk emergency travel documents
- Emergency passport
- emergency travel documents
- applying for an emergency travel document
- British emergency passport
- british consulate emergency travel documents
- how to get emergency travel document from British Embassy
- british emergency travel document
- british embassy emergency travel document
- british embassy emergency visa
- Will I have to attend the British Consulate to get emergency travel documents
- british consulate emergency passport
- british consulate brisbane emergency passport
- australian emergency travel document