Register a Death Abroad

British Consulate

Firstly see the process to register a death abroad. Secondly if you have to register a death while abroad then you need to obtain certain documents for the British embassy in the country where the person had died. Lastly the following is the process and the documents needed to register the death of a Brit abroad.

Register a Death Abroad

Most times the local funeral undertakers will deal with all the local paperwork for the cremation.


Register the death with the UK authorities

You can apply to register the death with the British High Commission or British embassy in the country where the death had occurred.You don’t have to do this, but it means:

  • a British-style death certificate will be issued
  • having the death registered at the General Registry Office in the UK

How to register a death abroad

Download and complete a form. Death Registration Form

Cost of Registration

Pay online for the registration. Email if you are unable to pay online.

Service Fee
Register a death £150
Copy of a death registration certificate £50

You must also pay for your documents to be returned to you. Once you’ve paid you will be given a reference number to use on your death registration form. Post your registration form and documents by secure post to:

Overseas Registration Unit
Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office
Hanslope Park
Milton Keynes
MK19 7BH
United Kingdom


Cancelling the passport

Advice about what to do with a passport when the holder has died and the form to send to HMPO with the passport.

You must provide originals and a photocopy of:

  • Firstly a local death certificate (not a certificate issued by a doctor)
  • Secondly the person’s passport
  • Thirdly their full UK birth or registration certificate (if you can’t provide their passport)
  • Lastly written permission from the person’s next of kin (if you’re not next of kin or the executor)

Firstly if you provide their passport you should fill out form D1.

Download ‘Form D1’ (PDF, 25KB)

Lastly if the passport is lost or unavailable, fill out form LS01.

Download ‘Form LS01’ (PDF, 815KB)


Firstly you normally have to pay fees for consular services in the local currency – these are shown in the list of consular fees. Secondly you can order copies of the registration certificate from the British high commission when you register the death. Lastly it takes about 5 working days for the death to be officially registered.


Finally see also the Death in Hong Kong (Expat & Tourist Information) article as well as Getting Married Abroad and Renew British Passport



Incoming search terms:

One thought on “Register a Death Abroad

Comments are closed.

error: Content is protected !!