Register Marriage in Angola

British Consulate

Do you know how to register marriage in Angola. If you are getting married in Angola to an Angolan national then you will need to contact the British Embassy in Luanda for more information. Note their contact details on this website as well as how to book an appointment online with the Embassy. The details below will explain the process.

Register Marriage in Angola

If you are not certain about Angolan laws then you should contact a law firm in Angola. They will also be able to give you advice on a prenuptial agreement for the UK and Angola and provide you with proper legal advice. Most times you will also be able to obtain the services of a translator in Angola. The process below are the basic steps to register your wedding and obtain the proper documents which the Angolan government will require.

What you need to do:

The Angolan government will need you to provide you with a certificate of no impediment (CNI) to prove you’re allowed to marry. In order to obtain your CNI you will have to post notice of your intended marriage in Angola. This process you can do at the British embassy or in front of a notary public in Angola.

Notice that there is a 3 day rule in Angola. You have to be in the country for at least 3 days before you can post notice for a CNI. If for an example you arrived on Thursday then the earliest you can do it is on the following Monday.

Documents needed:

You will need the following documents when you arrive at the British Embassy:

  • your passport
  • proof of residence, such as a residence certificate
  • equivalent documents for your partner

Notice that you will also need the following documents if you have been divorced or your wife/husband had passed away. This is also the same if your previous marriage had been annulled.

  • a decree absolute or final order
  • a civil partnership dissolution or annulment certificate
  • your (or your partner’s) former spouse or civil partner’s death certificate

Note also that you will need to show evidence of nationality or residence if your divorce or dissolution took place outside the UK. The reason is that you might not be classified as a British national if your former spouse was British and you where not. If your documents are not in English then you will need to get it legalised and translated. Look for a law firm in Angola or a translator in Angola for this.

IF you had a name change then you will also need to have proof of this as your name might not be the same as on your passport or divorce decree. This you could get from a marriage certificate or deed poll. The names and surnames on the documents have to be the same or it will be rejected.

What happens next:

You will have to pay the Embassy fee or the fees for the notary or lawyer as the Embassy will display your notice of marriage publicly for 7 days. Now as long as nobody has registered an objection to the marriage you can now obtain your CNI. Once done it is best to have your CNI legalised (certified as genuine) for the Angolan authorities. You dont need to be in the country while the notice for the CNI occurs.

Fees : 

Service Fee
Receiving a notice of marriage £50
Issuing a CNI, Nulla Osta or equivalent £50

Finally note that the British Embassy in Luanda is the consular agent to British nationals in Angola, São Tomé and Principe in the event of needing consular assistance while in country.



Incoming search terms:

error: Content is protected !!