Travel Advice Turks and Caicos Islands

British ConsulateThere is no diplomatic representation in Turks and Caicos Islands as it is a British Overseas Territory. If you need assistance then the authorities will be able to assist you while in the country. Always ensure that you have travel insurance when traveling abroad.

Local Laws

The city of Providenciales has more crime than the other cities. This is the economic hub of the country. The crimes tend to be burglary and theft however violent crime is on a slight increase. Dont carry large amounts of cash or valuables. If you are going diving/snorkelling then ensure that you have told someone where you are going such as the hotel receptionist.

Standard taxi fares exist in the country but you need to clarify this before you take a taxi and many charge per person and this normally leads to disputes. Note that isolated spots at night is a really bad idea.

Your British drivers license is valid for renting cars however after 1 month you will need to apply for a local drivers license. Note that this is a left hand drive country and that the speed limits are 20mph in town, and 40mph elsewhere. If you find yourself in trouble then call the Royal Turks and Caicos Islands Police on 911. You can also register a marriage or register a birth on Telephone: + (649) 946 2801.

Note that homosexuality is legal under Turks and Caicos Islands’ law. There’s no provision for marriage or civil partnerships between same sex couples. In he large cities people might tolerate public affection between same sex couple however in the smaller towns this may present a problem.

You do not need a visa for the country and can stay for a maximum of 90 days. The country is also a BNO visa free country.


Hurricane season runs from June to November. Cases of Chikunyunga virus have been confirmed in the Turks and Caicos Islands and the number of reported cases in the region is increasing. There are hospital facilities on Providenciales and Grand Turk, both operated by Interhealth Canada.