After more than 4,000 people petitioned the UK government, Steve Double, a Conservative MP on July 10 proposed a motion to shorten the time needed for tier 4 and 5 BNO citizens to naturalise into British Nationals from 10 to five years. This would make BNO holders eligible for citizenship much earlier.
UK lawmaker wants to shorten BNO naturalization
He said that the problems in Hong Kong and the growing size of the protests are becoming a concern. The Sino-British Joint Declaration is not being upheld and that the UK cannot overlook the deteriorating situation in Hong Kong. This BNO issues had been brought up when BNO passport holders had voiced their concerns about the current impasse outside the Foreign Ministry, the Home Office and the Palace of Westminster.
The current legislation requires BNO passport holders to live in the UK for at least 10 years and not leave the UK for more than 540 days in order to be naturalised. In July of this year £319,493 had been raised via Gofundme for the 中英聯合聲明登報 UK Ad Campaign to Defend Sino-British JD. There is now a website called Stand with HKStand with HK. The idea was to raise funds to advocate defending the Sino-British Joint Declaration.
You can read more on the:
Incoming search terms:
- BNO Q & A
- BNO issues
- bno renewal in uk
- bno renew in hk
- bno renewal countersign
- renwal bno hk
- bno issuing authority
- BNO expire
- UK BNO RENEWAL
- bno passport expired
- bno reneweal
- coming to the uk with a bno passport to live in the uk
- deputy for BNO application
- bno naturalisation
- can bno passport holder lives in uk?
- BNO Passports - Will it work? (1.000)
- Tugendhat - The UK had obligations to Hong Kong citizens (1.000)
- BNO - Live Questions from the Consul General (0.905)
- Past British Consul of Hong Kong (0.905)
- Hong Kong Consular Q&A - BNO (0.905)
- Residents in Hong Kong Seek British Passports (0.905)
- BNO was never meant to be? (0.905)