Hong Kong Foreign Travel Advice

Hong Kong Foreign Travel Advice.  It covered topics like dual nationality, travel insurance, and entry requirements. The next part discussed the political situation, crime, and laws in Hong Kong. The third part focused on health considerations, including vaccinations and medication. The fourth part discussed emergency services, contacting travel providers and insurers, and support from the FCDO.

Hong Kong Foreign Travel Advice

The final part covered laws, public offences, and transport risks. The advice emphasized staying safe, being aware of surroundings, and following local laws and customs. It also highlighted the importance of having appropriate travel insurance and checking vaccination requirements before travelling. Lastly, it advised on what to do in case of emergencies and how to contact the British Consulate-General in Hong Kong.

This guide is all about travel advice for the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (SAR). If you’re looking for advice on mainland China or Macao SAR, check out their respective travel guides. The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) is here to help British nationals make safe travel decisions. They provide advice about potential travel risks. You can learn more about what the FCDO has to say on their website.

Entry requirements

Now, let’s talk about dual Chinese-British nationality. Hong Kong doesn’t recognize dual nationality. This means that if you’re both British and Chinese, local authorities might treat you as a Chinese citizen, even if you entered Hong Kong with your British passport. In such cases, the British Consulate-General might not be able to help you.

If you’ve officially given up your Chinese citizenship, it’s a good idea to carry proof of this. You can find more information on nationality in China on the relevant guidance page. Before you set off on your journey, remember that no travel is 100% safe. Make sure to read all the advice in this guide and any specific advice that applies to you. This includes advice for women, disabled people, and LGBT+ people.

Stay updated by following and contacting FCDO travel on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. You can also sign up for email notifications to know when this advice is updated. Lastly, don’t forget about travel insurance. If you decide to travel, do some research on your destinations and get the right travel insurance. Your insurance should cover your travel plans, activities, and any emergency costs. Read more on the Hong Kong Foreign Travel Advice.

Visa requirements

This guide is based on what the UK government knows about the current rules for people traveling on a full ‘British citizen’ passport from the UK, for most types of travel. The authorities in Hong Kong are the ones who set and enforce the entry rules. If you’re not sure how these rules apply to you, you should reach out to Hong Kong’s Economic and Trade Office in the UK. Likewise see also the Current wait times for UK visa from Hong Kong on here.

As for COVID-19 rules, there are no testing or vaccination requirements for travelers entering Hong Kong. However, you might have to pass a temperature check when you arrive. In terms of passport validity, your passport needs to be valid for at least one month after the date you plan to leave Hong Kong. Make sure to check with your travel provider that your passport and other travel documents meet their requirements. If you need to, renew your passport. If you don’t have a valid travel document or try to use a passport that has been reported lost or stolen, you won’t be allowed to enter.

Vaccination requirements

Hong Kong is part of the People’s Republic of China, but it’s a Special Administrative Region (SAR) with its own immigration controls. This means you can visit Hong Kong for up to 6 months without a visa. For more information on entry requirements, check out the Hong Kong SAR government website. If you want to stay longer (to work, study, for business travel, or for other reasons), you’ll need to get a visa. For more information on this, contact the nearest Chinese mission with visa issuing facilities or the Hong Kong Immigration Department. See more below on the Hong Kong Foreign Travel Advice. Lastly also read on the BNO passport renewal as well as the Law Firms in Hong Kong and finally Notarial Services in Hong Kong as well.


Customs rules

Before your trip, at least 8 weeks in advance, check the vaccinations and certificates you need in TravelHealthPro’s Hong Kong guide. Depending on your circumstances, you might need a yellow fever certificate. There are strict rules about what you can bring into or out of Hong Kong. You have to declare anything that might be prohibited or subject to tax or duty. Kids aged 3 and over have to follow the same rules as adult travelers unless stated otherwise.

It’s illegal for visitors arriving in Hong Kong International Airport to carry certain items, including stun guns, objects with sharp points or edges (like samurai swords), and martial arts equipment (like knuckledusters). If you’re caught with these items, you could be fined or even go to prison. For more information, check out the Hong Kong Police Force’s website.

Electronic cigarettes

It’s also illegal to bring electronic cigarettes or other smoking products, such as heated tobacco products and herbal cigarettes, into Hong Kong. However, if you’re just traveling through Hong Kong and don’t pass immigration control, you’re exempt. For more information on this, check out the Hong Kong Police Force’s website.

Powdered baby formula

Lastly, there are restrictions on how much powdered baby formula you can take out of Hong Kong. If you don’t follow the rules, you could face a fine or even go to prison for up to 2 years. For more information, including exemptions, check out the Hong Kong Customs and Excise Department’s website. Read above more on the Hong Kong Foreign Travel Advice as well.


When it comes to safety and security, terrorism is a global threat that could affect UK interests and British nationals. This includes groups and individuals who see the UK and its citizens as targets. So, always be aware of your surroundings. The UK Counter Terrorism Policing provides information and advice on how to stay safe abroad and what to do if a terrorist attack happens. You can find out how to lower your risk from terrorism while abroad.

Political situation

In Hong Kong, terrorist attacks can’t be completely ruled out. Moving on to the political situation, between 2019 and 2020, there were large-scale political protests in Hong Kong, including in popular tourist areas. Some of these protests led to violent clashes between the police and protesters. Protests are rare, but they could happen at any time. If you find yourself near a protest, follow the advice of local authorities and move to a safe place. Read the article on here called Residents in Hong Kong Seek British Passports as well.


As for crime, violent crime is low, but pickpocketing and other street crimes can occur. Be extra careful with your passports, credit cards, and money in crowded areas and when checking in and out of hotels. If you’re planning to hike in Hong Kong’s country parks, stick to the marked trails and don’t carry valuables with you. Personal attacks, including sexual assaults, are rare but can happen. Don’t leave your drinks unattended and don’t accept drinks from strangers. Women traveling alone or with other women could be at greater risk.

Now, let’s talk about laws and cultural differences. The 2020 National Security Law includes offenses like secession, subversion, organizing and perpetrating terrorist activities, and collusion with a foreign country. The 2024 Safeguarding National Security Ordinance includes offenses like treason, sedition, unlawful disclosure of state secrets, and external interference endangering national security.

Laws and cultural differences

These laws can be interpreted broadly, and some offenses can lead to life imprisonment. They apply to activities inside and outside Hong Kong, including in the UK, and to all individuals, regardless of nationality or residency.

Hong Kong’s National Security Police have issued arrest warrants and financial rewards against individuals living outside Hong Kong, including in the UK. You could be detained or removed to mainland China for some offenses under the 2020 National Security Law.

Some people have been prosecuted for criticizing the Hong Kong or Chinese authorities, including online. You could also be prosecuted for supporting individuals who are considered to be breaking the national security laws.

The Immigration (Amendment) Ordinance came into force in 2021. Under this law, people could be stopped from leaving the Hong Kong SAR. However, the Hong Kong SAR Government has said that these powers will only be used to stop certain asylum seekers from entering Hong Kong. Read further on the Hong Kong Foreign Travel Advice as well. Likewise also see the article on BNO Renewal in Hong Kong.

You can be fined on the spot for littering and spitting.

The import and re-export of all elephant ivory and its products, including tourist souvenirs, is illegal. You could be fined or given a prison sentence. Don’t get involved with illegal drugs of any kind, including cannabidiol (CBD). Possession of drugs can lead to a prison sentence.

Don’t take photographs of military installations.

If you’re visiting, you can drive in Hong Kong with a valid UK driving license for up to 12 months. If you’re living in Hong Kong, check out the Hong Kong SAR Transport.

Before you travel, make sure to check a couple of things. First, ensure that your destination can provide the healthcare you might need. Second, confirm that you have suitable travel insurance for local treatment or unexpected medical evacuation. This is especially important if you have a health condition or are pregnant. Lastly also see the BNO and Hong Kong residents as well.

Emergency services in Hong Kong

In case of an emergency, dial 999 and ask for an ambulance. If you’re referred to a medical facility for treatment, get in touch with your insurance company as soon as possible.

About vaccinations and health risks, it’s a good idea to check a few things at least 8 weeks before your trip. Look up the latest information on vaccination recommendations and health risks in TravelHealthPro’s Hong Kong guide. Also, find out where to get vaccines and whether you have to pay on the NHS travel vaccinations page.

When it comes to medication, remember that the legal status and regulation of some medicines prescribed or bought in the UK can be different in other countries. You can read about the best practices when travelling with medicines on TravelHealthPro. The NHS also provides information on whether you can take your medicine abroad.

Refunds and changes to travel

In case of an emergency in Hong Kong, you can dial 999 for ambulance, fire, or police services. If you find yourself in a serious incident or emergency while abroad, it’s important to contact your travel provider and your insurer. They can guide you on what steps to take next. Likewise see also the UK visa in Hong Kong on here.

If you need to make changes to your travel plans or request a refund, your first point of contact should be your travel provider. You might also be able to make a claim through your insurance, but they usually require you to speak with your travel provider first.

For more information on changing or cancelling travel plans, such as where to get advice if you’re in a dispute with a provider or how to access previous versions of travel advice to support a claim, you’ll need to do some research.

The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) provides guidance on staying safe and what to do if you need help or support abroad. This includes finding English-speaking lawyers, funeral directors, and translators and interpreters in Hong Kong, dealing with a death in Hong Kong, being arrested or imprisoned in Hong Kong, getting help if you’re a victim of crime, what to do if you’re in hospital, and what to do if you’re affected by a crisis, such as a terrorist attack.

You can stay updated by following and contacting FCDO travel on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. You can also sign up to get email notifications when this travel advice is updated.

Lastly, if you’re in Hong Kong and you need emergency help from the UK government, you should contact the British Consulate-General or British Embassy in Hong Kong.




error: Content is protected !!