British Consulate in Houston
You can speak to the consular staff about notary services or register a marriage or a birth while in the United States. If you want to speak about a spouse visa, or any British visa or renewing a passport then you have to contact the British Embassy in Washington. If you’re in Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico or Oklahoma and you need urgent help (for example, you’ve been attacked, arrested or someone has died).
The contact details for obtaining a new passport has also been added below. You will note that there are also other articles on here. You can see travel advice for America as well as British born abroad and what the process is for that. If you are getting married and need a letter of affirmation then read further below for more details. See the contact details as well as map and street address of the Consulate. See also the Renew British Passport article.
British Consulates in America
See the different pages for the other Consulates as well.
If you need a notary public then there is a process for this. The most common are the
- Certified copy of a British passport for US IRS ITIN purposes
- Issue a no objection statement for US J1 visa
The no objection statement for the visa needs to be sent to Washington and it is only done by mail.
British Consular Services (Attn: J1)
3100 Massachusetts Ave, NW
Washington DC 20008
The documents needed for this are the following:
- a copy of your case file number and third party barcode page from the US Department of State
- also a copy of your British passport photograph page
- a copy of your certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status (Form DS2019 /IAP-66).
- also a completed application form for a no objection statement from the Embassy.
- a completed credit card authorisation form for the correct fee (Fee 2(i))
Note that they don’t administer an oath, affirmation or affidavit, witnessing a signature, or certifying copies of documents. and they don’t assist with UK police certificates. See the other pages on this website for more information.
British Consulate General Houston Office
1301 Fannin Street
Enquiries +1 713 210 4000
By appointment only. See opening times to make an appointment for notarial services.